Networker

Re: [Networker] Aborted save set?

2011-11-18 14:57:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Aborted save set?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:56:57 -0500
On 2011-11-18 13:41, bingo wrote:
As NW 'calculates in save sets', it must restart the backup of all unfinished
save sets from the very beginning. This happens when you restart a group.

Just to be clear, I didn't restart the group using the 'Restart' feature under nmc (or nsradmin), and within the 'Restart window' value, to force only the uncompleted save set to rerun. Instead, the group ran again the next day under it's normal schedule. But is sounds like what you're saying is that it wouldn't have mattered as far as that save set is concerned. In either case, NW can't base a backup on an aborted save set. Instead, it will back up the same files that it would have if the previous failed save set had never been run, including, of course, anything else that's been added or changed since then. That right?

And do not forget: if your backup media would be an AFTD, the aborted save set
will immediately be deleted. So there would not be anything left as a reference.

That makes sense. But as far as tape is concerned, is there any concern over leaving the aborted save set entry in the media database? Keeping it in there allows me to reference it for reporting purposes in the future. I would never try to recover from it (e.g. saveset recover), however. I'm not concerned about freeing up index space created by that save set.

Thanks.

George

|This was sent by carsten_reinfeld AT avus-cr DOT de via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -