Networker

Re: [Networker] NMC backup and licensing question

2011-11-14 18:05:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] NMC backup and licensing question
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 23:03:14 +0000
On 14/11/11 22:48, Eugene Vilensky wrote:
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Preston de Guise
<enterprise.backup AT gmail DOT com>  wrote:
I have to agree. I see the effectiveness of the list greatly diminished by the
mirroring with the BC forum. Neither style is incorrect. In a forum scenario,
repeating the message is silly. In a mailing list, not repeating the list is
equally silly.

As a result, I only check on the list once every week or so at most.

Is this a democracy? I know how I'd vote. If the forum gateway is
making the list harder to use as a list, and actively keeping experts
from contributing, in exchange for being friendlier for new users,
sacrificing the latter would be a small price to pay.

I don't particularly like effects of the forum mirroring, but there is more to it than that. AFAIK there are about 5 places on the web where you can be involved in NetWorker discussions. There is the Temple/meitca/iphase list, the Backup Central forum, TekTips, some discussions on Linkedin, and EMC's own forum. Now as NetWorker is a fairly niche subject, I think any dilution of the available expertise is a bad thing, so conversely, the more that these resources can come together the better. The mailing list is the only one where I get involved so I am missing out on the others (due to time constraints), apart from Backup Central which I share by default.

The question of format is a matter of preference. I do like fora, but I also like an old-fashioned mailing list. If this was a democracy (which I think it's not) I would err on the side of keeping the forum mirroring.