Networker

[Networker] Index backups for clients with scheduled backup set to disabled

2011-11-03 21:57:32
Subject: [Networker] Index backups for clients with scheduled backup set to disabled
From: Paul Robertson <probertson AT UNIXWAY DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 21:55:28 -0400
We use NMDA 1.1, Networker 7.6.X, and crontabs to backup our Oracle
database instances via RMAN running in Solaris containers/zones. Since
we choose to backup the zone's non-oracle filesystem data (e.g. /var)
via the globalzone, we've set "Scheduled Backup" to disabled for the
container's Networker client resource.

Everything works well enough, except for the minor annoyance that we
have to remember that the file index for the container is associated
with the global zone and paths are relative to the global zone. Of
course, the Oracle RMAN/NMDA backup indexes are associated with the
Solaris container. In general, this approach works well enough, in
that we restore the zone's filesystem data from the global zone, and
the RMAN/NMDA database information is restored from the container.

Unfortunately, setting the container's "scheduled backup" resource to
"disabled" has the undesired side effect that the daily index-only
backup via "savegrp -O" doesn't include the file index information for
the container. In the event that we ever have to recover our Networker
server in a disaster situation, our index tapes would be missing the
container's file index info.

I suppose we could work around this by enabling scheduled backups for
the database container as well, and setting the "save set" resource
parameter to a small folder like "/etc". This should ensure that the
Solaris container's file index information (which now includes both
the useless /etc entries as well as the critical RMAN/NMDA file
index). However, I would like to think that there is a more elegant
solution that I'm missing.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul