Networker

[Networker] VADP backups of thin provisioned VMs

2011-10-20 09:37:55
Subject: [Networker] VADP backups of thin provisioned VMs
From: Kevin Malone <KCMALONE AT SALISBURY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 09:36:13 -0400
Hi everyone,

We are using Networker 7.6.2 to backup our VMware virtual servers using VADP.
Due to our DR setup, we perform full backups of our VMs every night.  I say
that because while I was investigating use of space on our VMs (to see of the
amount of space being backed up could be reduced), I talked with our VMware
Admin and he told me a lot of our larger volumes of virtual servers are thin
provisioned.  It was his assumption that these volumes that are thin
provisioned would only backup what was being "used" rather than the entire
volume of space of the drives.  What we found was thin provisioned space is
backed up just like thick provisioned space...the entire volumes are backed up
regardless of thin or thick provisioning.

Has anyone else seen any information about VADP backups with Networker 7.6.2
and thin provisioning with VMWare?  If it is in one of the 10 guides I need to
"RTFM", please tell me which one I need to read and I will gladly do so as I
have been unable to find it.

Kevin

Kevin Malone
Network Administrator