Networker

Re: [Networker] NW server RHEL4 32bit to RHEL5 64 bit upgrade

2011-09-28 13:38:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW server RHEL4 32bit to RHEL5 64 bit upgrade
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:33:15 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] NW server RHEL4 32bit to RHEL5 64 bit upgrade,...:

After searching my mail archives from this list and coming up empty, I wanted
to see if anyone has done a 32->64bit RHEL migration by moving the /nsr/res,
/nsr/mm, and /nsr/index folders in the same way others have done the move on
Windows?

I've done the RHEL 4 32 bit (with 32 bit NetWorker) to RHEL 6.1 64 bit
(with 64 bit NetWorker) migration, but not the way you're describing.
The 7.6.x Installation Guide is very specific -- you must go through the
disaster recovery procedure (mmrecov) to recover the media database when
converting from 32 bit to 64 bit on Linux and UNIX.  I don't recall if it
has the same caution for Windows.

I have done this procedure successfully before, but only across physical
servers with the same versions, never changing bitness or major OS versions
(Networker version will stay the same).

Having NetWorker versions stay the same is a good move, and it's how I did
things too.  It did mean that I had to do a NetWorker update before
the move.

'don't try it, go the DR restore route'

I can't say that with certainty, but I can tell you that the Installation
Guide does say that, quite clearly.

Tim
edu