Networker

[Networker] Indexes disappearing ..

2011-09-27 13:59:12
Subject: [Networker] Indexes disappearing ..
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:55:28 -0400
Here's a weird one .. I have 2 clients (both virtual cluster clients),
both with browse and retention policies of 2 months, who have their
indexes either completely deleted (i.e., the index sub-folder for that
client is 0K),  or it only has the previous day's activity. These are both
backups made with the SQL Module. Neither client nor job has changed in at
least months, perhaps longer.

Even weirder - this seems to happen on every weekday. The index backup (we
do "savegrp -O") on Sat morning - which would have the index from the
Friday backup - would be there. And that would be the only index backup
that wasn't empty.

>mminfo -avot -q
"client=networker-server,name=index:client,savetime>09/01/2011" -r
volume,client,ssid,name,level,savetime(22),totalsize(2)

 volume        client     ssid       name                             lvl
  date     time total
006792         networker-server 1667207181 index:client full 9/1/2011
10:00:45 AM 32 KB
006872         networker-server 1298192353 index:client full 9/2/2011
9:19:29 AM 32 KB
006872         networker-server 2825005238 index:client full 9/3/2011
9:16:38 AM 10 MB

I wouldn't have noticed it, except that I needed to do a recover, and I
couldn't because it said there had been no files backed up (which I knew
to be false).
(that snippet is for earlier in the month, but it's the same all month)

"nsrls" shows the total size of the index to be zero
"nsrck -L6" shows no errors, and a total size of zero
"nsrck -L7" reads back in zero (unless I specify one of the Saturday
backups, like 9/3/2011 above)

Note that the groups that these 2 clients are in are set to "no index
save", like all our groups. I have 130 clients, and am only seeing this
problem on these 2. One client is a clone job, one is not.
EMC seems to be confused, as well. :-)

Thoughts, anyone? I am going to uncheck the "No index save" temporarily on
these groups. Can anyone suggest something else to diagnose?

Thanks

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM