Networker

[Networker] Save sets still browsable after removing index?

2011-09-20 13:11:37
Subject: [Networker] Save sets still browsable after removing index?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:10:49 -0400
I had a client index that I removed ('nsrck -R -Y client') because the client was no longer on the backups and had been decommissioned for quite some time. The NSR client resource was then subsequently removed followed by the /nsr/index/client directory itself. The client had a one month browse policy and a one year retention policy. However, the media database still lists the last incrementals and the previous fulls as browsable. These are all from January 26-27 2011. They have ssbrowse values of 2011-02-26-27 and ssretent values of 2012-01-26-27. Everything older than that is recoverable or expired.

Seems then that the existence of the index is moot? In other words, those media database entries will remain forever browsable until:

1. I were to recover the old index and somehow start running backups again using the same clientid, in which case those previous CFI entries would be removed as newer fulls were run and the previous dependencies no longer existed; their media database entries would change from browsable to recoverable

or

2. run some kind of command to make those non-browsable? Not sure what that would be since 'nsrmm' won't let you change the browse time to a date before the insert. I'd have to use 'nsrmm -o' to make it recyclable instead, right?

What if I do nothing? Will those save sets ever be marked recyclable?

If so, then I assume they will remain browsable until that time. In other words, they will never change to recoverable but will instead go straight to recyclable. They won't go to recoverable because even though they're well past the browse policy, there were never any later full backups to make those last incrementals no longer dependent and thus recoverable. That right?

It just seems odd that save sets could still be browsable if the index no longer exists. Seems the whole point of considering something browsable is that it's in the CFI. Why would removing the CFI not change those save set entries in the media database from 'cb' to 'cr'? At least you'd think the next time 'nsrim -X' ran that it would affect that change? This is usually the case with all our backups, but I've never really gone back and checked in cases where the CFI was removed because a client was taken off the backups.

I should note that after taking a client off the backups, I leave the CFI around for a while in case someone needs to perform a browse recovery. I never remove media database entries because we always want the ability to perform a save set recover if necessary.

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210