Networker

Re: [Networker] Manually staging savesets from adv_file volume to tape

2011-09-07 07:33:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Manually staging savesets from adv_file volume to tape
From: Frank Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 07:31:22 -0400
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 at 3:05pm, Vooris, Josh wrote:

I am writing all of my savesets to adv_file volumes on a Data Domain unit.  I
am starting to run into some space issues, and I would like to manually stage
off some of my oldest Monthly backups to tape in order to free up some space on
the Data Domain box.  It is my understanding that I could use the nsrstage
command with an mminfo query to provide the list of SSID's, but I am not sure
of the syntax for these commands.  Could someone provide me with some advice?
My NW server is running Windows 2003 with NW 7.6.1.  Thanks in advance.

Joshua,

While you can use nsrstage to free up space (and I've done it in the past) it is not a good thing to do with a datadomain device that is (in theory) storing one copy of each block of data. When you stage 300TB to tape, you may actually not save a single byte of space on the datadomain (because you didn't get rid of every copy of any block of data).

With that caveat, here's an answer to your question:

I assume you have the nsrstage manual page, you just need to get the ssid and cloneid you care about from mminfo and then use nsrstage with the -S ssid/cloneid option to move the data to the tape pool you desire (-b option).