Networker

Re: [Networker] Can a LTO-4 drive really read a LTO-2 tape ??

2011-08-29 14:31:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can a LTO-4 drive really read a LTO-2 tape ??
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:28:34 -0400
Our experience has been much better. We upgraded from a library with 5
LTO2 drives to one with 4 LTO4 drives. Until everything on the LTO2
tapes expired, we were able to complete user requested restores using
the LTO4 drives to read the older LTO2 tapes 100% of the time we needed
to... Fortunately, we have pretty low restore request frequencies (only
2 or 3 a month at most). Maybe we were lucky in that we had compatible
firmware in the newer drives that provided good support for reading LTO2
tapes ??? Either way, we've had a very positive experience....