Networker

Re: [Networker] Confused about nsrck -X ???

2011-08-11 14:14:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Confused about nsrck -X ???
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:12:11 -0400
On 08/11/11 07:35, bingo wrote:
George

"-X" is short for cross-checking. The major tasks are:
   - Verify that there is a media db entry for each file index instance
   - Physically shrink the CFI when possible (Checking which save sets have
become recoverable or recyclable and delete their file index data)

If you delete the CFI for a client, there is of course no file index data to
verify/check any more.
But the save sets can still be recovered (save set recovery) - their status is
either recoverable or recyclable.

Thanks. I didn't specify the correct subject for my post, however. I meant "nsrim -X", not "nsrck -X". Was your response based on "nsrim -X" or "nsrck -X"?

The man page for 'nsrim -X' says: "Check the consistency of the data structures of the save set with the data structures of the volume."

and the man page for 'nsrck -X' says: "same as using -L 3" or "does a level 2 check and reconciles the online file index with the online media index. Records that have no corresponding media save sets are discarded. Also all empty subdirectories under db6 directory are deleted."

Both of these commands, with the '-X' option, sound similar? What's the real difference then between:

nsrim -c client -X
nsrck -X client

George

|This was sent by carsten_reinfeld AT avus-cr DOT de via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -