Networker

Re: [Networker] Manual clone using more than 1 tape drive?

2011-08-08 13:43:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Manual clone using more than 1 tape drive?
From: SUBSCRIBE NETWORKER Sree <dalsc11 AT CELANESE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 13:42:30 -0400
My thoughts on this:

We have thousand+ volumes on 100 GB VLS (Tape Emulation on Disk), which
will be cloned to 1+ TB LTO-4 Tape-drives (8 drives in a Changer)

The way we've done the manual clone in NMC GUI:

Select the savesets you want, estimate the total size of the savesets
(thus estimating number tape-volumes we need).

Our typical savesets in a group contain about 7 TB on weekend-fulls (about
60 VLS tape volumes).

We sort our savesets based on VLS volumes, select some savesets at the
boundary of VLS volume - selected-savests size adding upto about 1 TB,
clone those selected savesets.

Now, you select new sub-set of the originally selected savesets, then
clone those savesets. Keep iterating this process to make/chose about 7
subsets of 1 TB in size, proceed to clone

Wish there is a easier way though :-)

Thanks
Sree