Networker

Re: [Networker] Managing encryption keys for offsite storage

2011-07-21 15:21:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Managing encryption keys for offsite storage
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 19:21:35 +0000
We do hardware encryption to LTO-5 tape media for our off-site tapes. The
encryption key is burned to a CD, which is locked away in a safe in a
building that is separate from where our tape library is located. Our
tapes are shipped off-site daily without the key. Our off-site storage
facility does not have access to the encryption key at any time.