Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice on migrating a large (2TB) AFTD storage node to new h

2011-07-15 08:39:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice on migrating a large (2TB) AFTD storage node to new h
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 08:41:08 -0400
> I agree with Eugene on using robocopy or even MS FSMT (Microsoft
> File Server Migration Toolkit) for which more information can be found
on
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/fsmt.aspx

Per my boss, we will not use robocopy.

We will restore about 1 TB of non-user shares using NW, restore coming
from the AFTD drives connected to the new server. The user folders of
about 1.1TB will be un-presented from the current file server, and
re-presented to the new file server. So no backup/restore needed for
those. Then we will delete any non-user shares from this drive (freeing up
the space we need), because we will have restored them to a separate drive
in the preceding step.

The backup should be finished by 8AM or so on Sat. Then I will do the
restore, giving it all day Sat and whatever time it needs on Sun.

I will be doing a test backup tonight, to see how long it takes. (full
backup from old server to AFTD drive on new server). And Mon I will do a
practice restore (since the new server isn't in use yet, I can do what I
want with it). That will tell me how long the restore next weekend will
take.

> Using DFS shares you can also publish the old server name while you
> rename the server to a new name and install the new cluster with another
name.
> The DFS will be completely transparent to the clients and you can
> migrate on a per share basis.

We don't have DFS implemented (yet, altho we plan to), and it won't be
implemented in the time frame (1 week) that I need to do this.

> Please use your backup tools for backups and restores and do not use
> NTFS as a ADV_FILE target since it is to slow when cleaning up the
filesystem.

We do use NTFS for our AFTD devices.