Networker

Re: [Networker] VTLs and backups

2011-06-07 20:15:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] VTLs and backups
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 20:12:53 -0400
On 6/7/2011 5:21 PM, mitch808 wrote:
VTL's are a dieing technology.  People much prefer to backup to disk, going
further with backing up to a disk target that does deduplication.

Your 9TB's of Exch is nothing with modern dedupe appliances.

VTL's are complex when they don't need to be.  They emulate tape,and suffer the same
physical limitations that tape has, even though it's "virtual."
It's much easier to move data over an NFS mount or CIFS share, and let your
backup app clone or duplicate to tape from there.

My personal preference is just get the correct sized DataDomain box, and call
it a day.  Go one step further and throw in BOOST, and a 2nd box and you can
replicate your data through NW as a simple clone job.  Now you can minimize or
completely eliminate your tape requirements if you replicate to a different
location.

I agree with this. We got a VTL a number of years ago on one server (primarily for license reasons), and went with AFTD on another (that we considered less critical). Given it all over again I'd get a plain array and do AFTD on it. No sense in an overly complex device to emulate something I don't really need it to emulate any more.

Maximizing client parallelism to spindles could be an interesting exercise...

-Brian