Networker

[Networker] MIgrating NW 7.5.2 from Win2003 32bit to Win2008 64bit on same hardware

2011-06-07 15:49:21
Subject: [Networker] MIgrating NW 7.5.2 from Win2003 32bit to Win2008 64bit on same hardware
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 15:48:20 -0400
I have a Win2003 server running NW 7.5.2. We will be upgrading this
machine from Win2003 (32bit) to Win2008  (64bit) - by re-formatting the
boot drive, and installing clean; not an upgrade in place. I was looking
through the Networker Procedure Generator, and that doesn't seem to be a
scenario that is covered (i.e., upgrade from 32bit to 64 on same hardware,
while maintaining all history). The server will have the same name and IP
address as before.

Do I need to do a modified sort of disaster recovery - i.e., full
bootstrap and CFI backup; re-format and install Win2008. Install NW, and
run a mmrecov, then a "nsrck -L7"?  Does that work 32bit to 64bit - they
are just NW data files, right, not binary executables?

Or should I do a save of the /res, /index and /mm folders, and replace
them after installing the new 64bit NW?

I don't care about any other data from the old server; we're going to
re-install all applications, etc from scratch. The only thing I want to
bring over is the NW history. I need that history. :-)

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM