Networker

Re: [Networker] VTL's and backups

2011-06-02 13:20:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] VTL's and backups
From: Matthew Powell <mtpowel AT CLEMSON DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 13:19:55 -0400
I work at Clemson University and we use Networker (Legato 7.5.3) to write to a
SAM/QFS file system. The SAM/QFS file system is backed by two SL8500 libraries.
Once the data has lived on the disk space for either 30 minutes or it has 32GB
of data or more then it makes two tape copies for us without Legato knowing
anything about the tape in the back end. As far as legato is concerned it is
writing its jobs to disk devices that are just folders defined in the SAM/QFS
file system. If the disks get filled up it removes the disk copy since it has
two tape copies and makes room for more data to be written. If Legato needs to
restore something then it just request the data and SAM/QFS stages the data
back from tape to it proper location and Legato gets the save sets it needs. It
is not a cheap solution but we were getting tired of all the overhead of
writing to tape and then having to clone the tape so you have two copies. This
is much easier but it was not cheap by any means. Pleas!
 e feel free to ask me any questions about this sir.