Networker

Re: [Networker] 45M iNode FS backup?

2011-05-10 16:08:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] 45M iNode FS backup?
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 21:06:18 +0100
On Tuesday 10 May 2011 18:52:48 Yaron Zabary wrote:
>   I think that any contemporary major backup software should be able to
> realize that the file system it is backing up is large (actually this
> should be done for each directory)

This is not about the size of the backup system.  It is about the amount of
files that are on that file sysem and have to e opened individually during
backups (ultimately by the OS, not networker ).

Snapimage is a practical solution for that. It does block-level backups and
avoids  the too many system calls that would be required, during file-level
backups,  to open and read each file that is to be backed up.

jee