Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrading server OS and NW version at the same time, re-using same hardware and server name

2011-04-19 13:12:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrading server OS and NW version at the same time, re-using same hardware and server name
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 12:11:38 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Upgrading server OS and NW version at the same...:

I have a NW 7.5.2 server, running Win 2003 and 32bit NW. We're going to be
re-formatting the entire server and installing Win2008 R2 instead, on the
same hardware and keeping the same server name and IP address. What I'd
like to do is keep all the old NW history. Am I correct in thinking that
this would be pretty similar the same as a disaster recovery of a NW
server?

Someone else asked essentially the same question last week.  You are
correct, the procedure for a NetWorker server DR should work nicely,
except...

So if we re-do the OS, and I install 64bit NW (hopefully NW 7.6 SP2, if it
comes out within the next couple weeks),

The DR procedure assumes you're going to install exactly the same version
of NetWorker, but you're also talking about changing versions and the ABI
at the same time.  That's not generally advised during a DR.  If you're
very, very comfortable with NetWorker and the DR procedure you can
probably pull it off.

The big question you need to answer is whether there are any database
format changes (especially the media database) between 7.5.x and 7.6.x.
I don't think there are, but I'm not certain as we're still running 7.5.x.
If there are media database changes between 7.5.x and 7.6.x, then that
means you have to be extra careful with how you do the DR.

Tim
edu