Networker

Re: [Networker] lockbox issue after upgrade from 7.5.1 to 7.6.1

2011-04-07 12:04:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] lockbox issue after upgrade from 7.5.1 to 7.6.1
From: Kate McDonald <katishnamcdonald AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:04:13 -0400
Weirdly enough, we've narrowed the problem down to the operating system
upgrade. Currently testing, but it seems as though the whole upgrade of
Networker goes great on RHEL5.4 but breaks the lockboxes if we upgrade our
server to RHEL5.5. The testing we're doing is to see if turning off
Networker before doing the server upgrade will cause the issue not to occur.

The lockboxes are used in our environment to store Oracle database
passwords.  They are encrypted with some sort of algorithm that appears to
be using underlying OS encryption libraries. The theory we're running on is
that if we turn off Networker before touching the OS layer, Networker will
just begin running fine with the new updated OS when we reboot and turn it
back on.