Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup via second NIC on client?

2011-04-04 16:21:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup via second NIC on client?
From: Kenneth Larsen <kel AT STERIA DOT DK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 22:20:18 +0200
Hmm, I just read esg66044, and its created in 2004, and updated 2010 !
Well, first off that a hell of a long time, to claim broadcom has driver
issues !

Besides we have run broadcom teaming for years on w2k3 servers without
issues... We do have one now, on 2008R2, but if its related to teaming or
not, is still a mystery. We are using it elsewhere, on 2008R2 and it works
fine... but one storage node is down to 7mega bit thoughput on a 1 gigabit
network, naturally we are NOT impressed ;)

honestly, i think you should ignore esg66044, and test in your own
enviroment, make your conclusions what works for you. Same is true with
autonegotiate or not.. If auto gives you the speed you need, and using
fixed settings doesnt improve it, then by all means use auto, it will make
your days easier, since most gear is set at auto pr default :)

testing testing reading reading testing testing more reading followed by
more testing seems to be a typical day / week / month for backup admins :)
until you figure it all out, but by then, most of your clients are 1 or 2
service packs behind, your core router and switches have been given a new
firmware, and you are using another brand of NIC and you can go at it
again :)

Sorry I am rambling, and not really helping, sorry!

Med venlig hilsen / Regards
Kenneth Larsen
System Konsulent

Steria A/S