Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup via second NIC on client?

2011-04-01 14:06:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup via second NIC on client?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 13:02:45 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Backup via second NIC on client?, Stu Duncan...:

On Apr 1, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: [Networker] Backup via second NIC on client?, Stu Duncan said...:

I'm trying to get my clients to back up on their second NIC.  However,
they seem to respond with DNS on their first NIC and thus the backup
server won't recognize them.

Primary NIC: 10.234.1.220, cfc.win.int.unavco.org (via DNS)
Secondary NIC: 10.255.1.220 cfc-backup.unavco.org (via hosts file)

Networker server: 10.255.1.5 networker.unavco.org

I can't see any way to get the client to use the secondary NIC/backup
name.  Both the client & server can see each other (on the 10.255
network), but when I go to back it up, or request backup on client I get
this:

39078:winworkr: SYSTEM error: client `cfc.win.int.unavco.org' is not properly
configured on the NetWorker Server
or `cfc.win.int.unavco.org'(if not a virtual host) is not in the aliases list
for client `cfc-backup.unavco.org'

The client does think it's named cfc.win.int.unavco.org.
Should I put an alias in the hosts file like this:

10.255.1.220 cfc-backup.unavco.org cfc.win.int

No, you only need to add cfc.win.int.unavco.org to the "Aliases" field
for the client within NetWorker.  If you're using the GUI, it's in the
"Globals (1 of 2)" tab of the client properties.

Thanks for the info.  One question: Can you explain to me how/why that
won't use the primary interface on the client?

The client name you used when you created the client in NetWorker
(hopefully you used cfc-backup.unavco.org, the error seems to indicate you
did), coupled with how your NetWorker server resolves that to an address
(10.255.1.220) and how your routing is set up on your server and client
should all combine to cause your server to primarily communicate with the
client over your second network.

The issue is that the Legato and now EMC developers have over the years
added a number of DNS resolution checks to both the client and the
server.  I've heard from NetWorker support over the years that lots of
environments had poor/incorrect/flaky DNS, so NetWorker's developers
responded by making the software do a lot of DNS checks to make certain
things were in order, to catch some problems before they got to support.

Because of those checks, when the client reports what it believes its
name is (cfc.win.int.unavco.org) back to the server and the server sees
it does not match the defined client name, the server refuses to proceed.
By adding the primary name as one of the Aliases to the client entry,
you're telling the server that cfc.win.int.unavco.org is the same as
cfc-backup.unavco.org.

We've been using a secondary network for most of our clients for backups
for years, so we're very familiar with this and other issues caused by
the resolution checks.

Tim
edu