Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato lost index

2011-03-25 20:23:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato lost index
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 20:23:21 -0400
The answers to your questions follow:

On 3/25/11 3:38 PM, "pmiis" <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM> wrote:

>Hello there, I've got this issue with a bunch of old tapes, thing is...
>the server where my legato console was installed died on me and we had to
>reinstall the console in another server, so now I lost all of my indexes
>therefore I cannot view the contents of nothing, so I've got a few
>questions.
>
>1. How can I prevent this from happening again? Where can I save my
>indexes or how can I recover em even if the server is totally dead (if
>this is possible)

You need to create a new group resource in NetWorker and make every client
a member of that group. Do not schedule the group though. Instead of
scheduling this new group to run via the NetWorker console GUI, schedule
it to run via a command that you schedule via whatever job scheduler you
prefer. The command to schedule is "savegrp -O grpname". Schedule this to
run once a day when your NetWorker server is normally inactive. It will
back up all the client indices.

>2. I need to browse the contents of several tapes, how do I do that?
>knowing that I got no indexes and I obviously don't wanna erase the
>contents of these tapes, (I cannot afford to lose exchange backups)

You need to use the scanner command. Details about scanner are in the
NetWorker administration guide and the command line reference guide. Both
of those documents are available for download via http://powerlink.emc.com

If you do not have command line access on your NetWorker server, then
someone who does will need to handle this for you or perhaps temporarily
give you access.