Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP backups

2011-03-22 17:26:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP backups
From: "Nelson, Allan" <an AT CEH.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:25:19 +0000
Here are the steps we took to enable NDMP backups on our Netapp filers.
Haven't had any problem so far with restores, but they're not exactly quick.
Hope it helps.
Cheeers... Allan.

1.Enable NDMP on the N-Series filers. Also check the filer is running NDMP
version 4 (you can see this on the filer using 'ndmpd version'). If not,
disable NDMP, issue command NDMP version 4, enable NDMP.
2.For each filer, create a client in Networker e.g. netapp1 and netapp-2
•On the General tab
•Set browse and retention policy to the current policy (e.g. 3 months)
•Tick Scheduled Backup
•In Save set: enter the name(s) of the volumes you want to backup e.g.
/vol/lotsofdata
•In Group: add it to the group(s) you want to use e.g. ddgrp
•Set the Schedule to use (note - this schedule cannot use Full/Incr, but
Full/Level 1,2,3,4,5,6)
•On the Apps & Modules tab
•Enter the remote user for the filer
•Enter the password for the filer
•In backup command enter the following...
nsrndmp_save -T dump -M
•Tick the NDMP box
•In the NDMP array name enter a 'cluster' name for your filers e.g. netapps
Note: One NDMP licence allows you to backup a 'cluster' so make this name the
same in each of your filer 'client' definitions.
•In the Application Information box enter the following...
HIST=y
UPDATE=y
DIRECT=y
EXTRACT_ACL=y
Note that DIRECT=y is important as it will speed up recoveries