Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovering a Win2008 client using NW 7.5.2

2011-03-16 09:07:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovering a Win2008 client using NW 7.5.2
From: "Mason, Wilbur" <Wilbur.Mason AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:07:04 -0400
Michael,

You should be able to recover the Wink8 server only if you do not have
to rebuild the OS. If you have to rebuild the OS then you will have to
recover from an image backup made of the server PRIOR to performing the
BMR recovery. In Win2k8, Microsoft only supports the recovery of the OS
back to same OS instance, meaning that you cannot rebuild the OS and
then recover as was the case with Win2k and win2k3. EMC is coming out
with NW7.6sp2 which will support BMR of Win2k8. In the meantime you will
need to use the Microsoft tool Windows server backup (WSB) to create an
image of the OS and then you will be able to do a BMR of a win2k8
server. See below.

Issue:

Disaster recovery of Windows 2008 servers using Networker client may
fail, when recovery is performed after doing a fresh Install of the
operating system

Microsoft does not support performing system state recovery to a
different OS instance than the original, i.e. you cannot perform a
disaster recovery from a backup, after performing a new OS install.
Recovery of system state is supported only to the Original OS instance.
In scenario where the OS is corrupt either due to a hardware failure or
software corruption, the only supported method of recovery is to perform
a bare metal recovery.  As Networker client currently does not support a
bare metal recovery for Windows 2008, customers will need to generate a
recoverable system state of their Windows 2008 servers using Windows
Server Backup to enable them to perform a disaster recovery of their
Windows 2008 servers in the event of a failure which leaves the system
unbootable and a recovery from a backup is required.

For more information on Microsoft's support statements for Windows
Server 2008 system state recoveries, including the
supported/non-supported scenarios and recommendations for various
recovery scenarios for windows machines see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694.

Wilbur Mason

WTI- Global Data Protection Team

Email: wilbur.mason AT pfizer DOT com