Networker

Re: [Networker] long term retention of data and old hardware

2011-02-22 03:24:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] long term retention of data and old hardware
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:23:09 +0200
These days I am trying to push an HSM solution based on Sun/Oracle SAM-FS/QFS technology (obviously, I intend to have at least two copies of the data in two separate locations). Such a solution will let us have a long term archive of our dormant data. My intention is to start with LTO4/5, but I am sure that when LTO7 will come, I will need to migrate the data to LTO7. Regardless of being able to deliver the files back, I still wonder what our ERP DBA will do ten years from now with backups of Oracle 10g when the database will be Oracle 26m and the table format will be completely different (and I don't even care about how people will handle Word 95 files when they run Office 2030).