Networker

[Networker] long term retention of data and old hardware

2011-02-18 14:54:52
Subject: [Networker] long term retention of data and old hardware
From: "Browning, David" <DBrown AT LSUHSC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:42:42 -0600
Just out of curiosity, what is everyone doing in terms of long term
retention of data, and still being able to read old tapes?

For example, we have thousands of old LTO-2 and LTO-3 tapes.   We are
looking to upgrade to LTO-5, but then that would mean we can't read our
old LTO-2 tapes, unless we keep at least 1, or more, LTO-3 drives.
Right now, that really isn't a problem.

What happens 5, or 10, years from now, when LTO-3 drives are no longer
available for service?

Our regulatory requirements are to keep some of our data upwards of 30
years, so this question is not going away any time soon.

- Dave.

David M. Browning Jr.

IT Project Coordinator Enterprise Backups and Help Desk