Networker

[Networker] Advice on speeding up clone jobs; snode write directly to tape library?

2011-02-07 12:31:59
Subject: [Networker] Advice on speeding up clone jobs; snode write directly to tape library?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 12:27:06 -0500
NW 7.5.2

I have a number of dedicated storage nodes, which have AFTD devices; these
devices are all fiber connected SAN storage space. My NW server has a
fiber connection to my tape library (8 LTO-4 drives, each of which has
it's own fiber connection). I run clone jobs on these nodes. So the node
writes direct to it's AFTD device over fiber, but when it goes to clone,
it has to send that data to the NW server over Ethernet, which then sends
it over fiber to the tape library.

1. That is correct? Am I understanding the data flow in a clone situation?
2. If so, how can I have my snode clone directly to the tape library, over
fiber? I'm guessing what I want is to share those LTO-4 drives with *both*
the Networker server and the snodes. Is that right?
3. If so, and it's technically possible to do, what do I need (from a
licensing point of view) from EMC?
4. Also, what type of SAN re-configuration do I need to do - I'd have to
present the tape drives directly to the snodes? Do I need to add the LTO-4
drives as devices to the snodes in NMC?

I'm sure more info is needed,; please feel free to ask. Or correct my
misunderstandings (I'm sure I'm missing something somewhere)

Thanks for any insights
--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM