Networker

Re: [Networker] hypothetical question

2011-01-21 11:35:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] hypothetical question
From: Valere Binet <valere.binet AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:34:38 -0500
We did the first transfer with star and run rsync once a day.
I wrote "hoping" because we didn't test the promotion of a storage node to
server ... yet.
We have NetWorker 7.4.4-1 on all our systems. The server and storage nodes
are running CentOS 5.5.

>From this conversation, it seems our strategy could be doomed to fail
because :
1) rsync runs on a live server (we don't shutdown nsr)
2) we don't use the -S option

Right?

Maybe it is time to rethink the whole process and find a way to test it.
I'll keep you posted.

Valere

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:01 PM, George Sinclair
<George.Sinclair AT noaa DOT gov>wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  In regard to: [Networker] hypothetical question, helenjay said (at
>>> 7:41am...:
>>>

>>>  If I tar'd the whole of /nsr and anything else related to networker,

>>> many
>>> versions of tar did not preserve sparse files and some of the db files
>>> had
>>> the potential to be sparse.
>>>
>>> These days, that's less of a concern.  More versions of tar handle sparse
>>> files, and the changes to the database formats have reduced or possibly
>>> even eliminated the chance that any of the files will be sparse.  You
>>> don't say what platform you're on, so you'll want to check your version
>>> of
>>> tar to make certain it does preserve sparse files, just in case.
>>>

> We've tarred /nsr off to a safe location a few times in the past, with NW
> shut down, but it didn't occur to me to use the 'sparse' option with tar
> even though GNU tar does support it. However, I always created an MD5
> checksum listing of all of /nsr (recursive) before creating the tar archive
> and then tested the archive by untarring it and validating all the sums. I
> don't know if NW might use sparse files, but I guess it couldn't hurt to
> include the option when using tar.
>
> 1. If NW does use sparse files, or did, what would happen if you didn't
> include the option with tar? What's the worst case?
>
> 2. If you shut down NW, create MD5 checksums for all the files under /nsr
> before tarring them, and then you create your tar file without the 'sparse'
> option, and you then untar the archive somewhere else and validate all the
> checksums, and everything matches then is it safe to say there are no sparse
> files?
>
> If there were sparse files, and you didn't include the option with tar then
> would you expect to see a mismatch on the MD5 sums for those files?
>
> George
>

>>> If the db files are quiescent (i.e. NetWorker shut down, or no checking
>>> or updating going on for the files), a tar copy of them should be fine.
>>> I wouldn't want it to be my only backup method, but it's a useful
>>> addition
>>> to the standard bootstrap DR procedure.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>> --
>>> Tim Mooney
>>> Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
>>> Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure                  701-231-1076
>>> (Voice)
>>> Room 242-J6, IACC Building                             701-231-8541 (Fax)
>>> North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105-5164
>>>

>>> To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
>>> type
>>> "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to
>>> networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with
>>> list. You can access the archives at