Networker

Re: [Networker] Error reported when recovering data?

2011-01-21 10:10:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Error reported when recovering data?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:09:19 -0600
> Preston de Guise
>
> No, NetWorker does not do a pre-backup walk. It walks as it backs
> up. So the scenario would be:
>
> walk
> encounter file that needs to be backed up
> note meta-details about file
> backup
> compare meta-details about file
> warn if changed
> continue walking

Has it always been that way?

ISTR long, long ago (5.x, 4.x ?) reading somewhere of Networker building
what the documentation called a "worklist", then backing up everything
included in the worklist. It was explained / clarified to me that it was a
two-step process: Make the list, then backup the list, traversing the
filesystem twice in the process.

Maybe we both were wrong all along? Certainly wouldn't have been the only
time!  :-)

Thanks.