Networker

Re: [Networker] hypothetical question

2011-01-20 16:42:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] hypothetical question
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:40:53 -0600
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu>
> wrote:
>
>  If I tar'd the whole of /nsr and anything else related to networker,
> could I use that backup to recover networker as opposed to mmrecov and
> scanner etc., should I have a major disaster?

In the past, that's exactly what we did in our DR tests and it worked.
I've used the same procedure during upgrades as well.

Historically, it worked for:

* Solaris 8 server, Networker 7.2
* Solaris 10 server, Networker 7.2

...but on the last test with a Solaris 10 server and Networker 7.5.1, we
ran into numerous problems. However, I wasn't there and I personally have
reason to suspect the entire test may have been done with an initially
corrupt copy of /nsr. So, it may have worked after all - They did have
some isolated successes. Of course we always tried to match server
hardware as closely as possible, but with Solaris/SPARC that usually
wasn't a real concern since it's binary compatible. We had to rebuild
(logical) jukeboxes, etc., but it worked well over a number of annual
tests.

We're now moving to a virtually tape-free (replicated Avamar) solution, so
this isn't a concern for us anymore.