Networker

Re: [Networker] hypothetical question

2011-01-20 14:18:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] hypothetical question
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 13:15:48 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] hypothetical question, helenjay said (at 7:41am...:

If I tar'd the whole of /nsr and anything else related to networker,
could I use that backup to recover networker as opposed to mmrecov and
scanner etc., should I have a major disaster?

In the old, old days, the answer would likely have been "no", because many
versions of tar did not preserve sparse files and some of the db files had
the potential to be sparse.

These days, that's less of a concern.  More versions of tar handle sparse
files, and the changes to the database formats have reduced or possibly
even eliminated the chance that any of the files will be sparse.  You
don't say what platform you're on, so you'll want to check your version of
tar to make certain it does preserve sparse files, just in case.

If the db files are quiescent (i.e. NetWorker shut down, or no checking
or updating going on for the files), a tar copy of them should be fine.
I wouldn't want it to be my only backup method, but it's a useful addition
to the standard bootstrap DR procedure.

Tim
edu