Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems renaming server during an upgrade

2010-12-02 10:09:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems renaming server during an upgrade
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 10:09:29 -0500
EMC got me back up and running. I sent them my mm and res folders; they
did the rename step on their test equipment; sent them back to me. With a
bit more muddling around, we got it to work. So I have my history, and am
good to go.

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
12/01/2010 04:51:46 PM:

> From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Date: 12/01/2010 04:54 PM
> Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems renaming server during an upgrade
> Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
>
> Michael,
>
> have you tried the following?
>
> -1) Use the old w2k3 server's bootstrap to do a DR on w2k8
> -2) Rename the NW w2k8 server to the final name (not using NMC)
> -3) Install NMC
>
> For instance:
>
> 1)
> - de-install NW from the w2k8 server
> - rename the w2k8 host from the current "B"  to the old w2k3 host name
"A"
> - edit the etc\hosts file accordingly (using  IP["A"]  and  "A"  (or
> FQDN["A"] whichever name applies)
> - reboot OS
> - install NW
> - make sure NMC is not started (or not installed at all at this stage)
> - configure one drive (use jbconfig)
> - Perform a normal DR (using mmrecovr and latest "A"'s good bootstrap)
> - stop NW and replace res with the recovered res.R
> - reboot
> - carry on with the DR until completion (follow the NW DR guide)
> - reboot
>
> 2) Follow the rename procedure to rename from "A" to "B"
>
> 3) install NMC
>
> It should work...
>
> jee
>

> On Monday 29 November 2010 15:58:26 Michael Leone wrote:
> > I've opened a case with EMC, but I'm pretty sure I know what they will
> > tell me. Just wanted to see what the list thought.
> >
> > Networker 7.5.2, OS = Win2003 R2 32bit.
> >
> > On Sat my co-worker tried to rename this Networker server, as part of
> > process of renaming the server to a new name, take a backup, then
> > upgrading the OS to Win2008 R2. He was trying to follow the document
ID: