Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup / Export Networker configuration

2010-11-27 21:12:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup / Export Networker configuration
From: Rick Brode <rick AT BRODETRAINING DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 19:11:32 -0700
On 11/25/2010 5:11 PM, pc wrote:
I am new to EMC NetWorker.

I have setup groups, devices, pools, schedules etc. Everything works fine. Now,
is there a way that I can export all the settings just in case I messed it up
by accident?

|This was sent by pc888 AT gmal DOT com via Backup Central.

A record of your resource information (settings) can be generated in several ways, both automatically and manually.

Whenever the NetWorker server is backed up as a client, a save set called "bootstrap" is automatically backed up. The bootstrap save set contains the entire resource database (groups, device, pools, etc are called "resources", which is just a fancy name for something that is configurable) and the entire media database (keeps track of all your volumes and save sets). The bootstrap is used primarily during disaster recovery when executing "mmrecov".

As another person already responded, you can use "nsradmin". It is an interactive command-line utility. Type "nsradmin" and then type "print" at the interactive prompt. That will output the entire resource database. You will need to do whatever is necessary for your UNIX shell or DOS window to redirect the output to a file.

Lastly, there is a resource setting called "Monitor RAP" which, when enabled, logs all resource changes to a file called /nsr/logs/rap.log (UNIX path). In the GUI, click the "Configure" button at the top, right-click your NW server name at the top of the left pane, and select "properties" from the drop-down menu). In the resulting Properties window, make sure that "Monitor RAP" in the "Setup" tab is enabled. If you don't see this resource setting, you need to enable "Diagnostic mode"; this is done from the View menu in the menu bar. If you had "Monitor RAP" set when you did all the work you've already done, the changes will be in the log file.

Rick

Rick Brode
Brode Training and Consulting, LLC
EMC NetWorker and UNIX Training