Networker

Re: [Networker] Linux Tape Drive Re-Ordering Issue

2010-11-08 01:45:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Linux Tape Drive Re-Ordering Issue
From: Riku Valli <riku.valli AT UTA DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 08:41:40 +0200
Francis Swasey wrote:
Have you tested what happens when a tape drive fails and you have to replace it
with a new one
(which has a different serial number) doing it that way?

Yes of course, you must made them again. You should know at Networker tape drive configuration is oneshot. When you are configured drives Networker will use only own configuration not that what hardware sees. That is why inquire program is used to see hardware device path which you tell to Networker which Networker will use and when device path or device order changed you must tell again devices to Networker.

Regards, Riku
For those of us that created our jukebox back in the 7.2 (or earlier) days and
have the jukebox
defined using the rd=<storagenode>:/dev/nstX devices, I strongly urge you to
consider coercing
udev into picking which /dev/nstX device the drive is based on the serial
number (then
remembering to update that rule when you replace a drive).

I have set it up as /etc/udev/rules.d/20-local.rules -- which is a copy of the
50-udev.rules
file with a line added for each tape drive like:

KERNEL=="nst[0-9]*", SUBSYSTEM=="scsi_tape", ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="3500507631203e5d4",
NAME="nst0",
SYMLINK+="tape/by-id/$env{ID_BUS}-$env{ID_SERIAL}-nst", SYMLINK+="tape0"

just in front of the

KERNEL=="nst[0-9]*", SUBSYSTEM=="scsi_tape", ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="?*",
SYMLINK+="tape/by-id/$env{ID_BUS}-$env{ID_SERIAL}-nst"

line.

Why would I do something this convoluted?  Because I don't like the risk of
having to perform a
25 hour jukebox inventory just because a tape drive failed and suddenly I have
to re-define the
jukebox because EMC's code messed up and can't figure out what happened to that
tape drive that
broke and was removed.

Frank