Networker

Re: [Networker] Copying data to another tape without cloning?

2010-10-18 10:54:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Copying data to another tape without cloning?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:53:31 -0400
Francis Swasey wrote:
man nsrstage.

From the man page: "... The process begins with a clone of the specific save sets to the new volume specified, followed by the deletion of cloned save set entries from the media database ..."

I'm trying to find a method that does not involve cloning?

George

On 10/18/10 10:38 AM, George Sinclair wrote:
1. Is it possible to move or copy data (let's say a save set) from source tape
A (pool type:
backup) to tape B (pool type backup) *WITHOUT* tape B having to be a clone
volume?

The earlier post "Stage from tape to tape" got me thinking about this. When
using nsrstage, the
target volume will have to a be a clone volume, correct? After all, nsrstage
does clone the
data, yes? OK, assuming that much, could you use scanner with uasm and then
somehow re-pipe
that to another uasm command to re-save the data to the target tape? Or, would
it be better to
simply recover the data to disk and then re-back it up? This seems redundant,
and in some
cases, available disk space could be an issue. What's the best way to do this
sort of thing?
How would this work?

The reason this came up is because there have been times in the past when I had
a given tape
with a few save sets that I wanted to get off to another tape but otherwise, I
wanted to just
recycle the tape. I ended up just creating a new clone pool and cloning it, but
in retrospect,
I didn't really want to have to create a new clone pool to do it, so copying it
to another tape
in the same pool would have been logical. I wasn't really trying to create an
additional copy.

2. On another note, is it possible to use a symbolic name for the save
operation to the new
tape that's different from the name (or default name) for the original?

3. I assume that if you wanted to do the equivalent of a move rather than a
copy then you'd
have to either recycle the original tape or use nsrmm to delete the old ssid
from the media
database, following the copy to the new tape, yes?

Thanks

George

--
George Sinclair