Networker

Re: [Networker] Qualstar

2010-10-08 17:25:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Qualstar
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 17:24:29 -0400
On Oct 8, 2010, at 5:03 PM, Werth, Dave wrote:

> Stan, where you say "for the price", do you mean that the prices are
> reasonable, or minimally competitive, for what you're getting, or the
> price is on the higher end but well worth the extra?
>
> Also, what all (say, in a nutshell) was involved in getting it to work
> with NW? I thought NW had long supported Qualstar, but maybe your's was
> a newer model they'd not yet tested? Just curious.

Compared with similar tape libraries with the same type of tape drives from
other companies such as Sun, IBM, and Spectralogic, the cost to purchase our
Qualstar unit and annual maintenance was very competitive. The Qualstar tape
library I have now is two years old so I don't remember the details, but as I
recall, competing tape libraries and their annual maintenance were more money
compared with our Qualstar.

As far as setting it up and working, I suppose it depends on your environment
and the experience you bring to the project. I have each of the four tape
drives' fiber channel line plugged into one of three dual channel HBA cards in
a Dell 2950. The robotic line goes to a small SAN switch which has nothing else
on it other then a line that goes to one of the HBA cards on our Del 2950. At
the time I set this up I was a total novice with Linux system management so it
took me a week or two to figure out how to get it all to work, not to mention
that I somehow burned through two motherboards on our Dell 2950 before we got
one that worked. I found that the tech support from Qualstar and Dell was first
rate in helping me figure out how to get it to work. I did have to engage tech
support from both companies quite a bit, but most likely that was because I was
green behind the ears with this stuff. Someone with more experience would have
been able to get it to work much more quickly. !
 My biggest gripe with the Qualstar is that its documentation is confusing. The
issues I had did not involve NetWorker at all, but purely on the Linux side
figuring out how to get the Dell server to see the tape drives and robot.

One thing that just occurred to me ... our Qualstar reads tape labels upside
down or right side up. It seems as if different tape media vendors affix LTO-3
tape labels upside down and some do it right side up. I never gave it a second
thought because I thought all LTO-3 tape libraries would be fine with that
until I got to SunGard and their IBM tape library that we lease from them for
DR purposes wasn't as flexible. The SunGard tech support engineer had to spend
a good deal of time figuring out how to get their tape library to read our tape
labels, which honed into the time I had allotted to me for my DR exercise. So
keep that in mind if you also use SunGard for DR services.