Networker

Re: [Networker] NSRCK -L7 question

2010-09-07 20:43:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] NSRCK -L7 question
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 20:41:36 -0400
> In regard to: Re: [Networker] NSRCK -L7 question, Michael Leone said
(at...:

> >> Just a heads up - bootstrap doesn't mean anything when you are
talking
> >> about restoring indexes.  You will need to have a backup tape that
has
> >> indexes on it.
> >
> > Well, our bootstrap tapes are where we save the indexes. We don't save
the
> > index with each job; we do a "savegrp -O full" every day. That's what
> > refer to as a "bootstrap" ..
>
> By doing that, you're confusing other NetWorker admins, because
bootstrap
> has a very specific meaning to NetWorker.  I recommend you adjust your
> terminology -- maybe call them "disaster recovery" tapes or something.

The job that does the index backups was set up by the EMC tech. That job
saves to a group he created called "bootstrap". He also set things up so
that index backups are not saved with the backup jobs, but instead are run
via script on a scheduled task (the "savegrp -O full" I mentioned
earlier). That script (that he wrote) is called "bootstrap.CMD".

So you can see why I refer to the tape that holds the client indexes as
"bootstrap" tape. :-)

I will endeavor to use more specific terms in future.

> >> If those are expired, or don't exist, you won't be able
> >> to restore indexes. You will have to use the scanner command (to
rebuild
> >> the index), or do a saveset restore.
> >
> > Ratz! Yeah, those bootstrap tapes have expired, I think. I know I mark
the
> > EOM savesets as "expire in 7 years", but it appears I forgot to market
the
> > index job savesets that way ...
> >
> > So I may have to scan the tapes directly .... yes, I am unfortunately
> > quite familiar with "scanner -i" ...
>
> No, you don't have to.  You just have to go through a much lengthier and
> more frustrating process to get the indexes reintegrated.
>
> See the knowledgebase article I mentioned in my previous post.  If you
> have the index savesets, you should be able to get them to load using
> the procedure there.
>
> Tim
>
> >> From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT
> >> EDU]