Networker

Re: [Networker] How to move the contents of a volume do a different volume?

2010-08-24 12:08:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to move the contents of a volume do a different volume?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:07:56 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] How to move the contents of a volume do a...:

When you say "Do you mean only clone the fragments of the saveset that are on the volume you want to purge, but leave the fragments on other volumes un-cloned?"

What I am trying to say is not cloning the data or save sets which happen to be on the volume I want to purge but rather moving that data to a different volume (including saveset fragments that are included) and then rebuilding or re-indexing the backup software so it knows the new location of the savesets previously on the purged volume.

In NetWorker, the closest thing to a "move" is a staging operation, which
is essentially a clone (copy) followed by a removal of the original data.
There's no other way to move saveset data from one volume to another using
NetWorker tools.

Since you're talking about a file device, it's likely possible that you
could use non-NetWorker tools (e.g. dd) to make an exact copy of the
volume and put it in place of the volume you want to get rid of (all of
this with NetWorker completely shut down, mind you).  That's a more
advanced (and potentially dangerous) operation than just using nsrstage,
though, so I really recommend you consider the nsrstage route first.

Tim
edu