Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker server with failed hard drive

2010-08-16 17:03:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker server with failed hard drive
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:01:22 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Networker server with failed hard drive, Roy...:

Tim Mooney wrote:
If you have the partition, you might as well use that, rather than going
through the disaster recovery procedure.

You've been circumspect about what you plan on doing about the OS.
Figuring out how you're going to get 6.1.4 installed and running
is now probably a more difficult problem than how you're going to
get your old NetWorker data back.

BTW, do you have a copy of the Disaster Recovery guide, or at least access
to powerlink.emc.com?

I haven't figured out yet what I'm going to do about the OS. So far it
looks like the only partition that was corrupted was /boot, so I may be in
luck. If I have to, I'll probably go find an old version of Redhat,
probably pre-Fedora.

If there's such a thing as CentOS 2.1 and you can find a copy of it, I
would try that.  RHEL 2.1 (upon which CentOS is based) was based on either
the old Red Hat Linux 8 or Red Hat Linux 9 (I forget which), but either of
those have at least a chance of working.

I haven't had any luck finding a Disaster Recovery Guide. I know I've seen
printed documentation but that was years ago and it's hard to tell where
it is now. Google turned up a PDF for the Networker 7.0, but that's the
best luck I've had so far. I do not have access to powerlink.emc.com but
it looks like I can register so I'll check that out too.

Go with the 7.0 PDF then.  You want disaster recovery documentation that's
as close to the same vintage as the release you were running, so 7.0 is
probably your best bet.

I'm sure I still have a copy of the 6.1.4 documentation around here somewhere,
but it would likely take a lot of excavating to find it.  If you are
desperate for it, let me know.

Tim
edu