Networker

[Networker] Why does Networker choose a clone over a backup tape?

2010-08-12 16:55:17
Subject: [Networker] Why does Networker choose a clone over a backup tape?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:54:04 -0500
...over an *available* backup tape, that is?

This is 7.5.1 on Solaris 9, if it matters.

I was going to restore some files to a Windows client, three complete
directories and just a couple of files from another. Some of the files
were backed up in last night's incremental, while others were from last
weekend's full. Here's what they look like from mminfo :

ssid       client  name lvl created ssflags   size fl volume   pool
location

4133266039 client1 D:\  full 08/06/10 vF   7078 MB hb 001480   backuppool
4133266039 client1 D:\  full 08/06/10 vF     29 GB mb 001340   backuppool
4133266039 client1 D:\  full 08/06/10 vF     21 GB tb 001280   backuppool

4133266039 client1 D:\  full 08/06/10 vF     58 GB cb 001420   clonepool
vault

2808298166 client1 D:\  incr 08/11/10 vF   2452 MB cb 001356   backuppool

Now, I can see that the full backup of D:\ is on three volumes (head,
middle and tail) as well as the cloned copy all on one volume. When I
selected the files I wanted with a browse time of today (i.e., last
night's backup) and looked at the required volumes, it listed the tape
from last night as well as one from the weekend.

But it also said it needed the *clone* tape in the location "vault" ... ?

The location of the clone tape was set manually, but the others were
simply cleared by Networker when they were removed from the library
(replaced by blank tapes) and the library inventoried.

As far as I can tell, there were no errors on the backups from either
night and our backups / clones expire concurrently. The actual restore was
postponed for other reasons, but I'm curious why it would even ask for a
clone tape in the presence of a good backup tape of the same SSID... ?

I've had to put tapes into the library for years and have never seen this
behavior. Any ideas? This doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies...

Thanks.