Networker

[Networker] NMC and nsradmin keep timing out

2010-07-30 09:42:51
Subject: [Networker] NMC and nsradmin keep timing out
From: Freddy Enslin <fenslin AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:40:54 +0200
Hi All,

I have a client running NetWorker 7.5.2 on Windows server 2008 x64. NMC
and nsradmin keep timing out

As we have added clients and resources to NetWorker the timeouts are
getting progressively worse to the point that we cannot add a single
resource or update a single attribute in a resource without the console
losing connection to the backup server with the error: Time Out. I tried
making changes using nsradmin instead but that times out too. The only
way I can add clients, groups or change attributes is by stopping
NetWorker Services and using nsradmin -d nsrdb, but this is not going to
work for the client as they are not that experienced with NetWorker The
client has a large environment using two EDL 4206 libraries with 280 LTO
3 drives configured and and HP ESL with  8 LTO 2 drives all the LTO 2
drives are configured for Dynamic drive sharing with all the storage
nodes and DSN's. There are approximately 10 Storage Nodes and
approximately 21 DSN's mostely Microsoft clusters with multiple virtual
instances on each cluster. We have configured their storage node
attributes to curphyhost and their Recover storage Nodes to currechost.
I mention all this in case it may be causing the problem. There are
currently just under 500 clients in NetWorker but some are in more than
one group and 300 of them are VM's backed up via 5 VCB Proxy's. 3/4 of
the environment consist of MSSQL backups using the NetWorker Module
(version 5.2.1)

I have restarted the services multiple times and rebooted the server
multiple times, but this has not helped at all. In fact it is getting
worse. Now when we try look at clients under configuration the error  we
get is:

Can't find client name attribute!.

I can list the client name attributes in nsradmin though!

Also whenever we restart the nsrd service it takes about 30 mins. to
start. Please help!

Regards,
Freddy