Networker

[Networker] NetWorker update

2010-07-21 10:55:30
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker update
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:55:02 -0400
johannes wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm planning a NetWorker update from 7.5.1 to either 7.5.2 or the new 7.5.3.
>
> The part of the update that takes the most time is running nsrck -L6. It
> takes 9 hours on our 90GB index folder. That's a very long down time for
> our environment, if we're required to let the NetWorker system be
> completely idle during the nsrck -L6.
>
> Is there a workaround so the update does not need such a long downtime? is
> it ok to run the nsrck -L6 after the update? or is it ok the have some
> backup / restores done durint the nsrck -L6 ?

nsrck -L6 doesn't require a quiet environment to run, you can run your normal
ops.  In fact, I think it will even pick up (if manually restarted) where it
left off after a reboot. I just did our update to 7.5.2 and the nsrck -L6 took
2.5 days to complete (600GB of indexes).

On the other hand, nsrck -m DOES require a quiet time to run, but that usually
takes 3-5 minutes to complete.

HTH
--brerrabbit