Networker

Re: [Networker] Which version of client will be used: 32 or 64-bit?

2010-07-12 07:53:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Which version of client will be used: 32 or 64-bit?
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 07:49:29 -0400
 On 7/12/10 12:09 AM, wallace88 wrote:
>> If you install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the NW client (rpm),
>> say on a RHL box, then which version will get run when the software is
>> started?
>>
>> If you need to un-install and re-install the software, does it matter which
>> version is removed first and/or installed first?
>

> I've never done it, but i guess after installing both 32/64 bit packages, I
> would expect running "rpm -qa | grep -i lgto" will show both versions
> installed. I have seen this on Solaris environments.

RedHat does it this way.  On a 64-bit system when you install an RPM, it will
install both the
32-bit and 64-bit versions (assuming they are available).  However, the Red Hat
documentation
states that the 32-bit binaries are ignored (not installed).  The only reason
for the 32-bit
version to be installed is to populate the /lib and /usr/lib directories with
the 32-bit
libraries.  The 64-bit libraries go into the /lib64 and /usr/lib64 directories.

Therefore, with a product like NetWorker that no other program would be using
the libraries of,
you are safe to only install the 64-bit version on a 64-bit system.  However,
you are also not
foolish, nor incorrect to install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions and as
far as the Red Hat
documentation goes, the order of install does not matter (much -- I believe
that if you install
the 32-bit version first, the binaries are installed and then when you install
the 64-bit
version they are replaced -- However, I know that if you install the 32-bit
version second, you
still have the 64-bit binaries on the system -- this of course assumes that the
person who
built the RPM didn't use a really stupid .spec file to build it).

I have never installed both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of NetWorker on any
of my RHEL 5
x86_64 systems.   I only install the 64-bit version and it works.