Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup Window Enforcement

2010-06-29 06:07:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup Window Enforcement
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 06:06:03 -0400
If I'm understanding this correctly, you're using NetWorker to drive Avamar,
with the Avamar grid as the de-duplication node in the client definition.
The first question is, can you start your savegroup any earlier? Failing
that, you may be able to start the Avamar administration tasks later than 6
AM and still finish before your next backup window.

But there's a more basic question: If your savegroup regularly runs over the
limit, you might want to reconsider whether Avamar is really an appropriate
solution for your environment. You may not have enough bandwidth to make it
work. You shouldn't have to choose between finishing your backups and
running garbage collection, checkpoints, HFS check, etc.

That said, if all you want to do is terminate a savegroup that's running at
a particular time and your NetWorker server runs *nix, you can set up a cron
job to do that. The crontab entry to kill a group named mygroup at 6:00 PM
would look something like:

00 18 * * * kill `ps -ef | grep "savegrp.*mygroup" | grep -v grep | awk
'{print $2}'`

Some *nix flavors have a pkill command simplifies considerably:

00 18 * * * pkill "savegrp.*mygroup"

It will do no harm if the group isn't running when cron triggers the
command; it will just return the message, "kill: bad argument count".

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.