Networker

[Networker] Reading tapes

2010-06-28 21:24:33
Subject: [Networker] Reading tapes
From: wallace88 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:21:39 -0400
> We have some tapes that have been written on 1 backup server that was running
> Networker. This will no longer start networker. Is there anyway to read the
> tapes other than using the SCANNER command?

It is probably easier to determine why NetWorker will not start, then correct
the issue so that you can get it working again.

Alternatively, you can set another NetWorker on a different host with the same
operating system as the original server, then determine where the most recent
bootstrap and recovery that bootstrap.  This also presumes that you have a tape
device that can be connected to this replacement host to read your tapes.  ...
 This is the classic disaster recovery scenario of the backup server, so you
can consult the disaster recovery guide for further help on this topic.

If you are unable to determine where the bootstrap is, then scanner is your
next choice.