Networker

[Networker] NDMP backups

2010-06-24 06:53:54
Subject: [Networker] NDMP backups
From: wallace88 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 06:51:07 -0400
> When NDMP incremental/level backups are fired, the NAS appliance identifies
> the changed blocks on the volume and ships the blocks to the NDMP target.
> This is different from conventional incrementals where only the changed files
> are backed up.
>
> As I understand, the only way to achieve NDMP incrementals is through
> NDMPCopy for inter Netapp filer copies. NDMPCopy walks the filesystem,
> identifies the changes and backs up only the changed files.

NDMPCopy is not a software on the filer.  The ndmpcopy command is a utility
that you install on a UNIX host and "enables a filer administrator to transfer
file system data between filers that support NDMP v3 or v4 and the UNIX file
system (UFS) dump format."
[url]
http://www.computeranddata.com/doc/vendors/netapp/6.4.1/ontap/dpg/ndmp12.htm[/url]

Since NDMPcopy is not running on the filer itself, then how do you expect
NetWorker's nsrndmp_save to invoke it?