Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.2 -> 7.5.1 upgrade index conversion time?

2010-06-16 05:02:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.2 -> 7.5.1 upgrade index conversion time?
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 12:00:51 +0300
Also, keep in mind that with 7.2 you had LGTOdrvr (on a storage node) which no longer exists in 7.3 and above, so when you upgrade, you need to also uninstall LGTOdrvr as well (I forgot about it, as it is not mentioned in the 7.3 installation guide). You need to look at 7.2 installation guide and check the exact order on uninstalling the packages.

Len Philpot wrote:
Tomorrow, we are hopefully upgrading our old (Solaris) 7.2 server to 7.5.1. The last upgrade on this system was from 6.1 to 7.2 (6 or 7 years ago) and after scanning the installation guide One More Time, I now have a couple of questions, naturally... :-\

*** Does anyone have any kind of ballpark figure on how long the index conversion takes? ***

We have roughly 32 GB of indexes. Are we talking minutes, hours, etc.? I assume the nsrck -L2 step at the end of the installation sequence is what does this. We'll be at this step hopefully no later than noon and we have backups starting almost every hour between 6 pm and 1 am. Is that sufficient time, or am I grossly overestimating how long it will take? This is not a new server, but is no slouch either (a 4 CPU, 8 GB RAM Sun V880 with fibre channel drives).

Also, the install doc has the (IMO) rather vague statement :

   "To prepare to update the Sun StorageTek EBS software:
1. Determine whether all criteria to complete the index conversion is met."

    (on page 35 of the Sun version of the install guide)

Yet there's no link (in the PDF) to any specific requirements, nor did I find anything appropriate unless I just overlooked it. Last time the indexes were converted (6.1 to 7.2), there was nothing specific to do, IIRC.

*** Any clarification on this would be appreciated. ***

Thanks!

-- Yaron.