Networker

[Networker] How are groups being used ?

2010-05-27 01:33:52
Subject: [Networker] How are groups being used ?
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 01:32:37 -0400
Skip Hanson wrote:
> All,
> Hello. I am curious how all of you are using groups in NetWorker ? Do you
> group backups by type: (Filesystem, Oracle, SQL etc.) or do you use other
> criteria ? You can respond to me using networker_usability < at > emc.com or
> here
> in the listserv.
>
> Thanks,
> Skip Hanson
> NetWorker Usability

Our setup is mostly grouped by 'type' (pc, dev, other in-house server groups,
etc), with different times for each.

Over time, we've added servers to groups based on what time the group ran,
since we had a time when most of our 'group run' systems were windows based.

Every few months I sit down with the previous weekend's group reports and an
Excel file, to determine any re-balance needed for Full backups (both to
balance out backup data over time, and amount used for the adv_file on each
node).

We also have a group or two that are for special purposes, such as our Win2K
cluster (backup is longer than 24 hrs) and its expected replacement (Sun NAS
requiring NDMP).

7.4.4, Solaris 10/Sparc, 160 clients (about 35 are manual backups), mix of
Solaris, Linux, one HP-UX, and a wide set of Windows versions (Win2K Desktop up
to 2003 R2).

--TSK