Networker

Re: [Networker] Hung savegroup problem

2010-05-26 12:48:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Hung savegroup problem
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 11:45:42 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Hung savegroup problem, STANLEY R. HORWITZ said...:

Every once in a while, a savegroup on my Linux NetWorker 7.4.4 server hangs.

We had a lot of problems with this under 7.4.4 and 7.4.5.  I spent time
searching on Powerlink and most of the knowledgebase articles suggested
it might be related to jobsd, so I followed the suggestions for tuning
that.  It didn't appear to help at all.

We upgraded from 7.4.5 to 7.5.2 on our server a couple weeks after 7.5.2
came out, and that has greatly reduced the hung savegrp problem.  We
still see one hang once in a while, but it's now much less common than
it was under 7.4.x.

Every environment is different, but for us, 7.5.2 has been much better
than 7.4.3+.

If you do upgrade to 7.5.x on your server, I would recommend you get your
clients updated as soon as possible too.  We had a serious recovery issue
on one of our clients that EMC diagnosed and was fixed by updating the
client software from 7.4.x to 7.5.x.

Tim
edu