Networker

Re: [Networker] networker server virtualisation

2010-05-20 15:40:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] networker server virtualisation
From: David Magda <dmagda AT EE.RYERSON DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:38:09 -0400
On Thu, May 20, 2010 11:47, STANLEY R. HORWITZ wrote:

> Server virtualization has many benefits, but virtualizing a backup server
> would be a big mistake. The reason is that backups are all about
> throughput. Since a typical backup server will likely need to monopolize
> its ethernet ports, it stands a good chance of bringing the other VMs to
> their knees during the backup window. Plus you add another layer of DR in
> the event the machine that hosts your virtualized backup server fails.

Is running NetWorker in a Solaris zone/container supported yet?

The overhead is minimal to none, and some (all?) of the T-series servers
come with optional dual 10GigE right on the CPU dies. You can also do
resource limiting on CPU, memory, and swap (though no I/O scheduling). I'd
guess that AIX LPARs (?) would have similar features.

If the OP is referring to VMware and Microsoft's Hyper-V (?), then I'd
agree with the general consensus and say that I/O would suck.